Signs. They are everywhere. Sometimes necessary and sometimes unnecessary. Garrett and I came across this sign in Portland...if it had words, I think that it would say "Just in case you weren't sure, if you ride your bike over the train tracks, you could eat %$#@ and possibly do some damage to your face, oh and your bike." I guess that is too many words, so the picture really gets the message across. Necessary or Unnecessary? In front of our house, we are constantly witness to the effects of another sign. It is a lowly stop sign, new to our mostly quiet intersection. It has been up for about 3 months and without fail, the sign and the "safety yellow island" in which the sign is anchored, gets hit on what was, no joke, a daily basis. It is more like a monthly basis now, because a jackhammer crew came out and moved that island back a few feet after a police cruiser, fire truck, city water truck, oh and like 50 private citizens demolished the sign. We even have a friend that has hit the sign. It is incredible.
Our city recently had some meetings to discuss canceling the Senior Olympics held here in the spring. Prescott is LARGELY populated by retiree's and the events bring a lot of other retiree's from other towns for the weekend. They stay here and eat here, boosting our local economy. But some of them might also participate in hitting the sign while visiting.. Draining more of the budget I am sure. My suggestion: (because you all know that they are sitting around waiting to hear what I have to say) lets take out the sign, and use the money being spent to replace the sign every 5 days to support the senior olympics. Random rant about signs. Check. Glad I got that one checked off my list of things to do today.
No comments:
Post a Comment